The Ravonettes

Thursday, February 19, 2009

My hero fell, but is quickly getting up...


Talk about what seems like a lifetime ago that I have been on here. There is an explanation for that. You see, my favorite person in the whole entire world...I'm talking favorite snack, dessert, outfit, smell and feeling kinda favorite all rolled into one whole delectible person (I always was a tad too descriptive, ya think?! haha) had a heart attack. My Grandpa. I was woken up by the phone call and that started the scariest whirlwind of my life.
It's amazing that I did not get a ticket on the way to the hospital. I never even knew that my car could go as fast as it did. A half a pack of ciggarettes in 20 minutes and a fast teeter on the brink of an anxiety attack I busted into the ER in search of my Gramps. There he was sitting on the bed in a gown staring me down and asking me why I was here. Leave it to my Grandfather to just have a heart attack and ask me what IM doing there. So, I threw the question right back at him and laughed as I realized that he was not lifeless on a hospital bed. He was sitting up, with his shoes on while wearing a hospital gown. ONLY MY GRANDFATHER WOULD PUT HIS SHOES BACK ON AFTER TAKING THEM OFF TO TAKE OFF HIS PANTS AND PUT THE HOSPITAL GOWN ON. Pardon the caps, but they do tend to get the point across.
After hearing the story of his chest pains and the chagrin in his voice as he fixated on the fact that his breakfast is still sitting on the table uneaten, once again...only my Grandpa.
Hours go by and I will not bore you with all of the details. A brief synopsis of the next couple of hours is this. calls... I am sure you get the idea. Anyways...He gets admitted. They want to keep him under observation. I can not even describe the fear that struck in my heart. Hearing the news of the heart attack didn't even compare to this for some reason. They only keep people in the hospital if something is serious. He was walking! Talking! His normal self. Why keep him? More tests...two more days in the hospital. Transferred to LA for some more tests. Finally an end to all of the fear and a jump start into straight horror. Blocked arteries...double bypass.
These last two weeks have been the craziest since my Great Grandma died. He had the bipass surgery and he is doing great. The 72 hour critical time has passed and all the tubes have been removed from him and he is up and walking around. They have not let him out of the hospital yet, that should be any day now, but it really brings everything into perspective when someone that you love unconditionally is put in jeapordy. I am not going to get all cliche here, but all of them really DO apply.
I appreciate the bond that I have with my Grandpa and for the first night in a long two weeks...I can curl up on the couch with my tivo and remote and breath easy.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that he's doing better! I'm sorry you had to go through the turmoil of not knowing what was going to happen...I know that sucks. If you ever need anything, you know you can always call me. Love ya and hope for a swift recovery for your Grandpa.